I’m not a big Douglas Adams fan, in fact, I am probably one of the handful of people on this planet who didn’t like The Hitchhiker’s Guide. However, “The Deeper Meaning of Liff” is one of the cleverest books ever. It is “a dictionary of things that there aren’t any words for yet” and it is brilliant, as you will see in a moment. Astonishingly, they even managed to publish it in German, not as a translation but an adaptation with German place names instead of English ones to act as the new words.
To give you a taste here are 13 examples…
- Aalst (n.) One who changes his name to be nearer the front
- Oystermouth (n.) One who can kiss and chew gum at the same time
- Nazeing (ptcpl. vb.) The rather unconvincing noises of pretended interest which an adult has to make when brought a small dull object for admiration by a child
- Malibu (n.) The height by which the top of a wave exceeds the height to which you have rolled up your trousers
- Margate (n.) a margate is a particular kind of commissionaire who sees you every day and is on cheerful Christian-name terms with you, then one day refuses to let you in because you’ve forgotten your identity card.
- Loberia (n.) Unshakeable belief that your ears stick out
- Lochranza (n.) The long unaccompanied wail in the middle of a Scottish folk song where the pipers nip round the corner for a couple of drinks
- Glud (n.) The pinkish mulch found in the bottom of a lady’s handbag
- Falster (n.) a long-winded, dishonest and completely incredible excuse used when the truth would have been completely acceptable.
- Dunino (n.) Someone who always wants to do whatever you want to do
- Bradworthy (n.) One who is skilled in the art of naming loaves
- Cafu (n.) The frustration of not being able to remember what an acronym stands for
- Zagreb (n.) A stranger who suddenly clutches an intimate part of your body and then pretends they did it to prevent themselves falling
Oh, and a German example so you can see that it works just as well…
- Hilter (n.) Political agitator the masses are not happy with since he always misspeaks
To see what other T13ers are writing about please go to Thursday 13.