When perusing my mom’s magazines I found this recipe for what they called a “stuffed pizza”. My husband tells me this would be called a pizza pie, ok, then, pizza pie it is. Since there were some pizza posts in the last weeks I’m adding this one to the lot.
I’m not one for making pizza dough herself but on this occasion I thought I’d give it a try. The recipe called for ham as part of the stuffing, but I simply left the ham out.
- 1 onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- 3 tsp pizza seasoning
- 200g mushrooms (slices)
- 2 bell peppers (cubes)
- 500g Spanish onions (cubes)
- 250g Mozzarella
- 200g boiled ham (left that one out)
- 125g tomatoes
- 1 twig rosemary and oregano
- pizza dough
1. Peel onion and garlic, cut into cubes and stew them in oil. Add chopped tomatoes, season with salt, pepper and pizza seasoning. Cook for ca. 10 minutes.
2. Steam mushrooms, bell peppers and Spanish onions in a bit of oil. Add salt and pepper. Cut Mozzarella into slices, cut ham into strips. Slice tomatoes. Cut herbs.
3. Roll out half of pizza dough on a baking tray, cover with the tomato sauce from step 1. Spread the vegetable mix, ham and 2/3 of the mozzarella. Put second half of the pizza dough on top of it and press the edges down. Put the sliced tomatoes on top in the middle. Add herbs on top of the tomatoes and add the last of the mozzarella on top. Bake at 180 degrees C for about 35 minutes.
Weekend Cooking is hosted by Beth Fish Reads