Today I’m sharing a recipe from the book “Muffins”, which I am afraid is only available in German. The book is inexpensive and absolutely brilliant. There are lots of muffin recipes in it, sweet or savoury, as well as an introduction to ingredients and step-by-step instructions for general tasks. The photos are so enticing, you want to start baking right away.
Bear Muffins with almonds and marzipan
- 100g butter
- 80g sugar
- 1 pack vanilla sugar
- 2 eggs
- 100g marzipan paste
- 5 tbsp orange juice
- bitter almond flavour
- 120g flour
- 60g ground almonds
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 100g icing sugar
- 1-2 tbsp lemon juice
- gummi bears
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Put muffin paper moulds in baking pan. Melt butter in a small pot and then put in a mixing bowl.
2. First mix sugar and vanilla sugar, then mix the eggs with the butter. Grind the marzipan paste together with 1 drop of the bitter almond flavour and the orange juice in a mixer and stir into the butter mixture. In a second bowl mix flour, almonds, lemon zest, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
3. Add marzipan mix to flour mix and stir either with a spoon or a whisk until all ingredients are moist. Add a little orange juice if necessary. The dough should be slightly goopy.
4. Fill dough into muffin moulds and bake for 25 minutes until golden brown. Take out of the oven and let rest for 5 minutes. Take them out of the pan and let cool down.
5. Mix icing sugar with lemon juice and cover muffins with it. Put gummi bears on top of each muffin and press down slightly. Let the icing dry.
Weekend Cooking is hosted by Beth Fish Reads