How do you improve your family’s health and relationships, save money, and raise happier kids who get better grades and are less likely to do drugs? Family dinners! These easy strategies will get your family back to the table.
In a nutshell:
I liked it: Yes No x So so
For people who: want to get their family around the table to eat, but are totally clueless about anything even remotely cooking related.
This book is for the absolute beginners. If you have cooked for a family for some time and have something that looks somewhat like a family life then you are probably already too advanced for it.
Let’s look at some of the things this book explains:
- It describes the situation as it is in a majority of households
- It describes the advantages of family meals
- It gives tips on how to accomplish a family dinner
- It offers tips what kids of all ages can do to help in the kitchen
- It offers time saving tips
- It suggests how to organize the pantry
- It tells you how to construct a shopping list and how to shop
- It helps you to plan weekly meals
- It talks about must haves for the kitchen
- It tells you how to deal with likes and dislikes of kids of all ages
- It gives you sanity savers for yourself
- It offers a few recipes & web resources
- In fact it tells you many things that the average reasonable person knows. I mean, come on, who doesn’t know that a home cooked meal around the dining table is healthier than having a TV-Dinner lounging on the couch while watching a cartoon?
- The manifold advantages of a freezer? Check. How to store seasoning? Check. Reading food labels before buying is recommended? Check. Cheaper stuff is in the lowest aisle? Check. Buying in bulk when on sale? Check. Using coupons? Check. I am not saying that this book is useless. Not at all. If you are a woman who just had her first kid, who has never cooked for more people than two, who only ever defrosted her dinner in the microwave, go ahead and read this book! It is a useful resource for how to organize your kitchen and your family meals. If you are an experienced mother, but still feel you are wasting hours or a fortune in your kitchen, likewise. If those criteria don’t apply, then don’t bother!
- The recipes are ok, but nothing too fantastic, the web resources might be useful now, but given the short lives of websites, the list might be outdated in six months. Both could have been left out without any regrets, I am sure.
Product info and buy link :
|Title||Dinner for Busy Moms|
|Publisher||Plain White Press|
|I got this book from||Netgalley because I am – among others – a busy mom|
|Buy link||Buy Dinner for Busy Moms|
Weekend Cooking is hosted by Beth Fish Reads
Have you read this book? What did you think of it? I would love to hear other opinions.