It’s time for another “Quizzical Monday”! Today, because it is my blogoversary week, there will be a small bookish prize for the winner who got the most answers right. Bookmarks, book plates and such…:)
I have got five book beginnings (always chapter 1) and want to hear from you the book and the author. To enter, fill out the form below with your answers, please do NOT post them in the comments!
1. While the present century was in its teens, and on one sunshiny morning in June, there drove up to the great iron gate of Miss Pinkerton’s academy for young ladies, on Chiswick Mall, a large family coach, with two fat horses in blazing harness, driven by a fat coachman in a three-cornered hat and wig, at the rate of four miles an hour.
2. Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy.
3. My mother did not tell me they were coming.
4. My father had a small estate in Nottinghamshire; I was the third of five sons.
5. In setting out to describe the recent and very strange events that occurred in our hitherto completely undistinguished little town, I am compelled by my own lack of talent to begin from some time back, that is, with a few biographical details about the talented and highly esteemed Stepan Trofimovich Verkhovensky.
I will post the answers and the winner in a separate post on Sunday. You can enter until then. Readers from all countries are welcome to participate.
And while you are at it, why don’t you check out my giveaway that started yesterday.